Thursday, August 1, 2013

Garden fail

I cannot grow zucchini.  I am, perhaps, the only gardener in the history of gardening that cannot grow zucchini.  Allegedly, it's an idiot proof veggie to grow in the garden and people have been known to doorbell ditch bags of the stuff on unsuspecting neighbors.  I had high hopes of grilled zucchini, baked zucchini, zucchini noodles, zucchini bread, chocolate zucchini bread.  I had pinned dozens of recipes to Pinterest, all for no reason.  There will be no homegrown zucchini at Wayne Manor this year.

I've been fairly successful with my yellow squash this year, the bell peppers aren't doing great because something keeps eating the leaves, there are a couple of straggly carrots, and it's too early to tell how the tomatoes will turn out (I got a late start on putting them outside.)  The only thing growing like gangbusters is the lone cucumber plant.  The twist is that I'm not a huge fan of cucumbers, and I didn't intend to plant it.  The Sister Wife had a leftover from her garden and donated it to mine.  It took off like gang busters and now I'm trying to think of ways to serve them - but I'm starting to gag at the thought of them.  If the tomatoes ever come in, I'll have a tasty cucumber tomato salad.  Until then, sigh...


No comments:

Post a Comment