Monday, August 27, 2012

Cindernella, That's My Name!


When I was a kid (this was before we moved into the new house, so I must have been about four) I had the best Cinderella book with a read-a-long record.  It was the best thing ever because I quickly learned to sing the song and insert my name into the song - especially when asked to do chores around the house.  This continued well into my high school years.  Now, as an adult, I still sing it either in my head or aloud to the family.  They hate this song.

If you would like to hear it set to music, the MP3 can be located here.

Lyrics to "Work Work Work"

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Washing, mending, stretching bending,
Every day's the same.

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Sweeping, dusting, cooking, scrubbing...
Why, it's changed my name!

Once, I was just little Ella,
That's how I began
Now, I am a Cinder Ella
Always in my cinder place with ashes on my hands and face, I am!

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Washing, mending, stretching bending,
Every day's the same.

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Sweeping, dusting, cooking, scrubbing...
Why, it's changed my name!

It's "Cinderella" that, and "Cinderella" this
and "Cinderella, hurry and get to it!"
Why, the way they worry me
They hurry me and scurry me and always try to hurry me to do it!

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Washing, mending, stretching bending,
Every day's the same.

Work, work, work, I try not to complain
Sweeping, dusting, cooking, scrubbing... (Cinderella!)
That's my name!

Update: There is a YouTube version:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxKvrzevag

23 comments:

  1. Ok, I may have snorted a little when you said "read along record", since my childhood was all about cassette tapes (and more importantly, my fisher price tape player with microphone) and records were already a dated sort of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 49 and I still remember most of the songs from that 'sing' along record/book. But I also had the cassette versions too. Thankyou Granny. Who's still alive and used some of the same for my kids. Who also had CDs.
      So yeah snort and snicker...🤭

      Delete
  2. Can you please tell me what the cover of the cinderella book that you have looks like? Is it the one with the boy on the bottom right reading a book? Thanks, Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, my copy is at my dad's house in CA and I'm at home in VA.

      I found a link on Amazon, but no photos:

      http://www.amazon.com/Cinderella-Peter-Pan-Players-Orchestra/dp/B0010XUM2W

      Delete
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxKvrzevag

      Delete
  3. I have been searching for this song...my sisters and I still remember this song too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYYYYYY! We had this book/record, too, when I was growing up, and my mom and sister have been quoting the "Work Work Work" song recently. SO glad you posted it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was the book called?My sister and I loved it and I would like to buy her it for her upcoming birthday.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.amazon.com/Cinderella-Peter-Pan-Players-Orchestra/dp/B0010XUM2W

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Am so going buy this!!!! Thank youuuuu!! 😄

      Delete
  6. http://www.freshoj.com/janna/cinderella.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Here's a YouTube version:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxKvrzevag

      Delete
  7. I am SO GLAD you posted this. I was just singing it to my son this morning.I think it is hilarious. She is NOT trying terribly hard not to complain, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this sooooo well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have thought i was the only person searching for this song. It pops in my head from time to time. I'm 45 now and i was probably 4 or 5 when i had that album and book. Awww...memories. Glad i'm in good company :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listened to this ALL the time. Here's the youtube version that I had...the one you posted might be older. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3cPTd5hVI

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious, Jill! I nearly rolled over when I read that you still sing the song as a grown-up. I'm overwhelmed with work today, and a friend called and asked what I was up to. I just broke into the song, and I think she thought I was making it up on the fly. Then I fumbled around for the lyrics; that's what led me to your site. Thanks for filling in the blanks for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how I'm not the only one who quotes from this story (my family and I that is haha).. Haven't heard this for the past 25 years or so (lost it after moving) so I will definitely get this for myself now, I mean to my kids 😉 what memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there, I was looking for this song for my mom. One of the few memories we still share from my childhood. Thanks for the info, but the youtube link you shared, though a Peter Pan Cinderella story, seems to be an older version that doesn't have this song. Sounds like it's from the 40s or 50s. Here's the link for the 1971 one that is pretty much the same as your audio recordings. Side 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3cPTd5hVI and Side 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJorV_4k4U. It's a bit clearer. My older sister, now 43, had this one and I, now 39, had Pinocchio. We always sang this work, work, work song, and my mom still does sometimes.LOL She's gonna love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They hurry me and scurry me and always try to hurry me to do it!
    Listening to the record, this line is "They scurry me and flurry me and always try to hurry me to do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking for this!! OMG!! My brother and I had this on record as small children. It was Hansel and Gretel, Thumbelina and Cinderella in one book. I would love to find this again for my small nieces and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That song is not on that link. I loved that album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've opened every link. None of them work 😞

      Delete