Thursday, August 2, 2012

To CFA or not CFA? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I'm boycotting Chick-Fil-A.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't like the food and neither do the Superheroes, so perhaps "boycotting" isn't the best term to describe my relationship with CFA. (Which is too bad, because they *are* clean and they do have nice play areas - looking at you, McDs.)  What I have found interesting are the varied reactions on my Facebook page to the news that corporate CFA opposes gay marriage.  I'm glad that I have a variety of friends and family that come does on both sides of this issue, but I find the whole thing a little...dumb.  Yes, I believe that is the word I am looking for.  Dumb. I think it's gotten out of hand.

I consider myself to be a Christian but not the evangelical kind.  More of the live the good life-follow your own path- don't make me come down there kind.  I'm also pretty liberal in my politics and libertarian when it comes to people's personal lives.  I am opposed to the government being in anyone's bedroom because I can't handle the pressure of trying to perform for the likes of the Religious Right.  (Can you imagine?  It would be really uncomfortable.  Ok, now I have to throw up a little bit.)

I support and believe in gay marriage because I think they should have to pay the marriage penalty like everyone else.  And I really want my Gay Husband to find a nice socially connected architect who owns a beach house and will let us borrow it.  (No pressure, honey.)  And the gay wedding industry will kick start the American economy.  And it's really no one's business but their own. And I still can't exactly put my finger on how two men getting married somehow endangers my own marriage.  But I digress.

I think Chick-Fil-A, as a privately held family own company, is entitled to say and support whatever it believes in, though I think it's hypocritical to quote Leviticus in discriminating against gays (18:22 and 20:13), but not to observe Leviticus when it comes to pork on the breakfast menu (11:7-8).  Silly, you say?  Sure, but I'm in violation of holding a grudge (19:18) and not loving my neighbor as I love myself - though I try and that's why I love my gays but some people just irritate the hell out of me.

Anyway, support CFA, don't support CFA.  Doesn't matter to me.  I don't support hate, and I wouldn't patronize a place that thought marriage between two blacks or two Jews was wrong.  But if eating a chicken sandwich makes you feel like you are taking a stand for God and family, do what you need to do.

Wow.  Now I really want some Popeyes.  Aw, crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment