Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Holy earthquakes, Batman!

Today is a beautiful amazing day in August.  This sort of day never happens in DC, and I'm sure that someone here sold their soul to the devil in exchange for it - it's that rare.  I had a breezy post floating around in my head but then we had an earthquake.  Huh?  What the heck?!?

USGS is reporting that it was a 5.9, centered 87 miles south of here (or 62 miles south of my house.)  There has been construction outside my window all morning, so my first thought was construction gone wrong.  Then I thought bomb.  Finally, my brain grasped on to the idea of an earthquake.  I'm a West Coast girl.  My first memory of an earthquake is when I was seven or so, and my biggest earthquake was the Loma Prieta in 1989.  (That was a pretty fucking big ass earthquake, excuse my French.)

Daycare reports that the kids are fine.  The Spouse has been evacuated and is heading home to check on the house, then to get the kids.  Our neighbors report that some pictures and decorations fell off the walls.  I'm ahead of that game, because I don't hand stuff up!  Ha!  I just prop it against the wall.  Thankfully, the china cabinet is trapped in a corner of the living room, with cabinets and things wedged against it, so that should be fine.  The bookcases were affixed to the walls with the introduction of Baby Batman.  I'm crossing my fingers that it's no big deal.  My new kitchen better not have been touched...

No comments:

Post a Comment