Monday, September 26, 2011

Birthdaypalooza

A lot of people we know got busy between the sheets sometime between December and early February.  I know this for a fact because every kid we know seems to have a birthday during the months of September and October - myself and my kids included.  This stretch of time has come to be known (in our house, at least) as Birthdaypalooza. 

Birthdaypalooza starts in late September and runs until Halloween.  We get a brief break before we enter the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's stretch.  I'm not joking when I tell people my holiday season starts in September.  I start my holiday shopping in January and stockpile gifts for the rest of the year. 

As a general rule, I tend not to overbook myself the children.  I have no problems sending my their regrets to parties.  Birthdaypalooza, however, is not comprised of crumpled invitations from children I have never heard of.  No, Birthdaypalooza - in its strictest definition - is comprised of my children's closest friends (who, thankfully, are usually the offspring of my closest girlfriends.)  These are parties I the children wouldn't dream of missing.

Birthdaypalooza kicked off on Saturday with two birthday parties.  Batman and Robin were invited to the first party, and Batman alone was invited to the second.  It was a fun but exhausting day.  I stole held the birthday boys baby sister for much of the second party.  My body is not used to the jiggling and rocking that a 4 month old demands, and I am still sore.  Perhaps if I were in better shape and visited the gym occasionally, Birthdaypalooza would be easier to pull off.

Halloween is five weeks from today.  Wish me luck, people! 

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's all those cold winter nights! You gotta stay warm (and entertained) somehow. ;) Four of our six have fall birthdays!

    ReplyDelete