Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm so fucking glad that the plane went down in PA.

I plan to spend 9/11 forgetting about 9/11. 

I'm contemplating skipping church, because I'm sure there will be a special prayer of rememberance. 

It's Leo's birthday, so the kids and I can bake him a cake. 

The Cowboys are playing the early game. 

I don't want to forget that day, but I don't want to remember it, either.  It was horrible.  I watched (and smelled) the Pentagon burn for three days as I drove back and forth between my home in Arlington, 2 miles from the Pentagon, and my job on Capitol Hill.  I saw the refrigerator trucks for the bodies.  While the rest of America cried in front of tvs, those of us in Washington and New York saw it live.  I don't think they feel the same way that we do.  And I don't think DC had the same experience New York had.

Things that have changed in my life in direct relation to 9/11:  We got cell phones.  I left a career I loved on the Hill because I no longer felt safe (security has vastly improved since 9/11).  My kids are in daycare far from where I work, because I don't want them near a big target.  We have contingency plans for evacuation; shelter in place; how I will get home if the bridges close; how daycare will handle the kids if both parents don't make it home for the evening - or forever. 

I miss the life I had before 9/11 - the career, the hope, the confidence.  Sadly, the last real thing I remember from life pre-9/11 was the horrible dress Macy Gray wore to the MTV video awards.

I want to live my life (thank you, God), love my kids, play with my dogs, watch my Cowboys, and not think about it.

I'm so fucking glad that the plane went down in PA.

1 comment: